HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!
I have been slacking on the blog for about a month. . . sorry about that! I was getting quite homesick and road weary towards the end of November/beginning of December, so I found myself not wanting to post my feelings during that phase. I guess it would have been the honest thing to do. I was sharing all the fun and interesting things, but decided to skip the sad and sappy. I'm heading back to the States this Wednesday, January 14, so I'm feeling as if I should do at least a brief update. When I have more time, over the course of the next little while, I'll post some photos, but, for now, I'll give a brief overview.
I spent December 10-21 on Sr. Robinson's farm down in Invercargill. By working on the farm, I learned about permaculture and organic farming principles. I even got to help sheer the sheep. . . and have pictures to prove it. (Will post photos later.) I really enjoyed this time with Sr. Judith. My time with her helped me to regroup. The work on the farm gave me plenty of quiet time to think about where I've been and where I'm going in my life. It also gave me a chance to do some reading about earth-based spirituality, eco-theology, and cosmology. I enjoyed my conversations with Sister: how she decided to do what she's doing, what other Dominican nuns are doing all over the world, NZ history and culture, etc. I felt quite refreshed when I hit the road again.
After leaving the farm, I worked my way north: Christchurch on Monday, December 22nd, for pre-Christmas dinner with friends there; Murchison on Tuesday, December 23rd, for a quick paddle on the Lower Matakitaki and dinner at the pub with friends; and Motueka/Riwaka, which is near the Able Tasman National Park, on Wednesday, Christmas Eve, for Christmas weekend with Jenny (friend I met during the kayaking course back in October).
Able Tasman is on the northern coast of the South Island of NZ. It's known for sea kayaking, sailing, and trail hiking. Jenny works for a sea kayaking company there, so we had access to some kayaks and went out on the sea. . . so beautiful! I can't wait to post some pictures of that area. Beautiful sandy beaches, great weather, and lots to do. After all the river kayaking I've done, I had no idea I would like sea kayaking so much, but I did. After a few days of that, I talked to the management about the possibility of guiding for them in the future. We arranged for me to "shadow" some trips the following week.
In the meantime, I went back down to Murchison, did some kayaking and hiking (Nelson Lakes area), sold my paddle and my river kayak, and then was back up to Able Tasman on New Year's Day. Since then, I've been staying with Jenny and her flatmate, Aaron, exploring the area and setting up the possibility of work for next year.
Hope things are going well with all of you. Will post pictures and more details as soon as I can. Take Care!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment