Overview since I last posted:
Friday - Paddled the Lower Matakitaki (3+) with Mick Hopkinson. I made most of my lines, and had a great run. Mick (director of the NZ Kayak School) had a few suggestions on how to improve my paddling - always appreciated.
Saturday - Rained like crazy from dawn to dusk. I decided to read instead of kayak. Read the entire book, "The Fox Boy," about the land wars between the Europeans (predominately British) and the Maoris during the late 1800s. The book was generously given to me by Mary Kay Turner prior to my departure from Jackson, WY. Thank you, Mrs. Turner! It's good to know some of the history of this country.
Sunday - Back on track. . . was up bright and early and ready in time to go kayaking with some folks up here from Christchurch. We paddled the Mangles River [2+ (3)] in the morning and then the Lower Matakitaki (3+) in the afternoon, which (as you can probably tell from some of my previous posts) is a popular run around here - apparently great preparation for the more difficult runs on the West Coast of the South Island.

[Boater side note - I'm feeling a little in the dark on the flows around here, but I'm starting to get the hang of it. They measure the flow down here in "Cumecs" (not "CFS"), so even when there is a flow report, I have to do some math. Many of the runs are visually gauged based on suggestions like - runnable when the river is tea brown; or run when muddy; or only run when running clear; or (my recent favorite) best to run when the river is out of it's banks, but not quite up to the road.]
Monday - Ran the Middle Matakitaki (2+) with a couple of kayak instructors who were visiting from other areas. This is the same stretch of river that I ran the very first weekend I was here in Murchison. I had a much better run this time because I now have a boat that fits me well.



[Another boater side note - Their river rating system is a bit on the less forgiving side of things. They don't say Class 3 until they mean really solid and serious Class 3. It's making me very curious to see what they consider to be Class 4. . .]
Tuesday - Finally transcribed my notes from my ACA Instructor Training Course that I took in Jackson.
Wednesday - Ran the Matiri River (Class 3 at low flows, Class 3+/4- at flood stages) with Shannon, Spanna, and Mick from the NZ Kayak School. There was some question as to whether it was really flooding today. Mick said that he's seen it a lot higher. I believe him. To me, the river was running high on the banks (in some of the low lying brush and up to the lower branches of some of the trees), it was brown, muddy, pushy and creating all sorts of crazy boils and funny water. . . we'll call it on the low end of flooding. The rivers here are really rain reactive. They shoot up like crazy and then drop back down. This is one of the rivers that people try to catch at flood stage for the "romping, stomping" waves. It was cold, raining, and slightly stressful, but fun. I finished with a sense of accomplishment.
No comments:
Post a Comment